Monday, April 25, 2011

Majestic Istanbul

For so long I have wanted to come to Istanbul. I remember as a young adult reading about the great history, the beautiful, majestic mosques and the many ruins doting the city. And now I am here, finally.

H and I have been here for 4 days and tomorrow is our last day and honestly I don't want to leave. I wish we had more time to travel around Turkey, but unfortunately we need to move on to the third leg of our trip, Syria (yes I know- are we crazy with everything that is happening there atm?). 

So four days here and hours of walking all day (and night), we have managed to cover most parts of Istanbul- old, new and Asia which included the historical sites, mosques, churches, fountains, palaces, ruins and museums.

And what a beautiful, splendid and majestic city. There is so much appreciation for culture, art and history here. It is breathtaking- every aspect of it.

While you can spend weeks here in Istanbul, we found 4 days to be perfect. Our itinerary included:

Day 1: The Sultanahmet Mosque (the Blue Mosque), the Turkish Islamic and Arts Museum, The Turkish Science Museum, the New Mosque and the Spice Bazaar.

Enough of my rambling- let's let the photos speak for Istanbul. Mind you, I took over 1500 photos, so this is only a snapshot of this breathtaking place.


Despite a very cold, wet morning there are still many eager visitors tot the Blue Mosque, including us
Absolutely in awe of everything, like the intricate arches in the courtyard of the mosque


We managed to perfom most of our prayers at the Blue Mosque. It was only a 5 minute walk from our hotel.



The view from the park in the afternoon, with the sun struggling to come through after a very wet day.


A glimpse at the Blue Dome inside the Mosque


The dilemma for me was that the mosque is so absolutely beautiful that I did not know where to start...


A bit of Andaluscian influence can be seen throughout the Blue Mosque





 Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts, near the Blue Mosque








The garden courtyard of the Museum

















Halim with his "book cover"


No comments:

Post a Comment